My Bear Bagging System (More Cuben Fiber)

Now that I have replaced my bigger items with lighter, more “appropriate” gear, I started looking to the little things to lighten up. Immediately, my bear bagging system jumped out at me. My old system (OR dry sack, 50′ of 3 mm PMI cord and a #4 Nite Ize S-Carabiner) weighed a whopping 7.5 oz, without a rock sack. So, I looked around for a suitable replacement. What I decided on was a MYOG Silnylon rock sack, a ZPacks Large “Blast” Food Bag, a ZPacks Mini-D Carabiner and 50′ of 1.4mm Z-Line Slick Dyneema Cord. So, check out my video detailing these items and let me know what you think…

About these ads

This entry was posted in Bear Bag System, Cook Kits, Gear and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to My Bear Bagging System (More Cuben Fiber)

1. John Roan says:

Nice job Stick! I’m glad to see someone else is addicted to zpacks.com. My wife and I both use the blast food bags, but now I just buy the material from Joe and make my own stuff. I use the same fabric on my MYOG backpacks…super tough!

John,

I have debated buying the material and making my own too, but still afraid I might spend a bunch of $$$ on material and not get it quite right… Simply from the feel of it though I would imagine it would be much easier to sew than the super slippery sil! I would like to swap out the rest of my stuff sacks that I do use with cuben though. And yeah, ZPacks is a little addictive…

Chad

2. Pat Combee says:

Hey stick, nice video! I have always wondered what the three-dimension look of the blast food bag was. I have contemplated getting one, so I just might.

Pat,

I would highly suggest getting one of the large Blast bags. The bag is huge so fitting enough food in should not be a problem, but as far as the shape, I feel like it will fit inside my pack better than the long tube shaped bag. The cuben fiber seems to be very durable, and is without a doubt very lightweight. Plus, other bags close to this size are really in just about the same price range. Plus so far the service at ZPacks has been top-notch! Joe responds to emails very quickly and fills orders just as fast. I placed an order this morning for a few more items and it is already in the mail to me. Cannot beat that.

I highly recommend ZPacks as well as their products.

Chad

3. Lynn in Ga says:

Thanks for turning me on to Zpacks!! I’m already making a list of all the stuff I want to replace with a Zpack product!

4. Edgar says:

Hi Stick,
    Always fun to watch your video! Thorough, all the details included and above all – doable.
    I didn’t know Zpacks and if you tested them enough, given that the stuff will last for years, I think that the prices are more than legitimate.

Edgar,

Edgar,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Glad you like the videos, and hope that they help.

As far as ZPacks…I have heard of them for a while but never been able to get any of their stuff until recently. So, as far as how it does in the long run I cannot attest to that for sure yet. But, I can say that everything I have gotten seems to be outstanding. First off, the cuben is pretty stout stuff from what I can tell, but also there are lots of other people that have attested to how durable the material is over time as well. Also, everything that has been sewn looks great. no loose threads that I have found and everything seems to be sewn well, sewn to hold. I am happy with the products so far, and plan on ordering more!

5. Nice Stick…I don’t like re-inventing the wheel…I love stealing others ideas and if it makes my search easier…I’m all over it. I will probably order all three products…I have two bear bagging systems, but they are just thrown together. Large and small Outdoors Products Dry Sacks, 50′ Paracord and cheap biner…I let my 13 year old carry his and his 8 year old brothers food and I carry my wife and I’s food. So, I may go with two small bags…But I like the smaller biner and the Z-Line…However, I almost put one of their small sacks in my cart for $5, but I would like to make my own too…I have about 15 different size ditty bags, stuff sacks and dry sacks. I would like to make one. Ever thought about doing a little tutorial on how to custom make one?

6. Kevin Bos says:

I want to comment on this part because going ultra small and lite on the cordage is actually damaging to tree bark. I originally ordered some from Ryan Jordan at Backpacking lite and he said they have tested it out and found thicker line was needed because when you hang and drag the cord it cuts into the tree with their original thinner cord so they updated it to a thicker line. I gotta say if there is a place to take a weight penalty this is it.

Kevin,

That is very true. The thin stuff will cut into the trees, however, if I am not hanging in the same place consecutively and it is just me and my food hanging then I am not too worried about it causing any real, threatening damage to the tree.

Saying that, I have been using the HLine that LiteTrail sells for a while now. It does weigh a bit more, but that is due to it’s larger diameter cord. This cord is definitely less damaging to the tree, and I have hung as many as 4 peoples food off of this one line at times.

If I were hiking through an area that featured bear cans/lines, then I will carry the lighter, thinner line for the simple fact that it would be simply riding more than being used. Also because others would not need to hand off of my line either.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!