Check Out The Instaflator!

A few months ago I came across a thread at Backpacker.com in which someone was asking about pumps to blow up air pads and some one mentioned the Instaflator. Since then it seems like these pool toy tools have made quite a home in the backpacking world. So, it was only a matter of time before I got one…

Essentially the Instaflator is a long plastic bag with a nozzle on the end that can attach to (some of the) air valves on air pads. Then with a single breath, the bag fills with air and then is pushed into the air pad! This way I don’t have to worry about moisture from my breath filling the pad in subfreezing weather, or if I am ever at or above elevation, I don’t have to worry about getting so light-headed from having to blow up my beloved NeoAir!

So, to see it in action, check out my video…

This entry was posted in Gear and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Check Out The Instaflator!

1. Mike Miller says:

I watched your video of you inflating the Instaflator and noticed that when you blew into the open end of the Instaflator your mouth was 3 or 4 inches from the end of the plastic bag. If you hold the open end of the bag at least 12 inches away from your mouth and then blow into the Instaflator it will completely full up, no half full bags. By holding it futher away you create a freight train of air rushing into the bag. Try it and you will see a big difference. Thanks for the review. Inventor of the Instaflator. PS, As you get older and your huffing and puffing gets harder you will appreciate the Instaflator even more.

Mike,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I didn’t notice that my mouth was so close, but I will try standing back just a little bit farther next time. Thanks for the tip!

2. Stick… this thing is working well on the AT. Just a thought… I cut mine in half. The full length is rather annoying. Especially in the Lunar Duo. Just a thought from my perspective. But I do blow up 2 neoair 72″ everyday… and it works AWESOME!

Supa Chef

Thanks Supa Chef! Great to hear from you dude! I am seriously envious of you 2, but super excited for you at the same time. I have watched all of your videos so far and I must say, I am glad to see that your spirits are staying great on your trip. And yes, I do stalk your YouTube channel as well as your blog!

As far as the Instaflator, I hadn’t thought of cutting it shorter, thanks for the tip. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Keep hiking strong dude!

3. Doug says:

It’s a neat idea however you need to use it all the time as you always have mositure in your breath. So there has been moisture getting put into you pad since the day you first used it by blowing into it.

Doug,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

The idea with the moisture is that during the winter months, that moisture inside the pad has the potential to freeze, which would make the pad less efficient in terms of thermal efficiency. During the summer, this is not a problem since the temps are not low enough to freeze the moisture inside the pad. However, ultimately, it doesn’t matter what you use to blow the pad up, whether it is from lung power or from another device, if there is moisture in the air, it will get in the pad, so the Instaflator simply minimizes the amount of moisture.

Also, the NeoAir does not use any type of insulation inside the pad unlike some of the other pads (Exped Synmat or the BA Insulated Air Core) so there is no worries that the moisture is doing any damage to the pad.

However, there is still moisture inside the pad. This is why it is a good idea to store any (insulated as well as non-insulated) air pad unrolled and with the valve(s) open. This will allow just about all of the moisture to escape from inside the pad.

Again, for this simple reason, I will only be using the Instaflator for trips in which I expect freezing temperatures. However, I may get bored one day and make an Instaflator that also doubles as a stuff sack.

4. Scott K says:

That seems like it is more trouble than it is worth. Takes up more space and really unneeded. Nice review as always. Seems like if you want a pump – get a pad with a pump built in.

Scott,

It almost is more trouble than it’s worth, but I must say that it does have an advantage, especially in the colder months. I like the idea that it keeps the moisture to a minimum in my NeoAir. As far as space, it is relatively small and I have plenty of room in my pack since everything else I have is smaller.

It’s the gear addiction I tell ya! Gotta try out any and everything that I can! 🙂

I don’t really like built in pumps though cause I don’t have an option not to take it. My SynMat has one, and it is fine though, considering I don’t use that pad since I got my NeoAir.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

5. Alan says:

Brilliant. My kind of kit.

It is pretty neat, but I think it is better suited for use during the colder months. I don’t mind blowing up my regular size Neo.