4 Days & A 20 Pound Pack

Finally it is time to head out for another hike! And not just a day hike, or even an overnight hike, but a 4 day hike! It is not too often that I get to head out for a multi-day hike like this one, so I am pretty excited about being able to get out! However, this trip will also mark a few other milestone’s for me. So, just a few things to mention…

First off, I will be completing the Georgia section of the AT and even a tiny part of the North Carolina section. My wife and I did the approach trail along with the first 30 miles of the trail as our first hike back in 2009, so I will happily be picking up and going just a little farther on this hike. As well, after this hike, I will be able to say that I have one state down. (Of course though when I do my thru I will do it over again, but that’s not the point.)

The next big thing for me is my pack weight. Almost 2 years ago when my wife and I headed out, I left the Amicalola Falls SP Visitor Center with a whopping 56+ pounds. But not this time! My total pack weight for this trip comes to a much nicer 20.8 pounds. That is 11.01 pound base weight and 9.79 pounds in consumables. For a complete look at my gear list, check it out here:

Gear List

Also, concerning my weight, I am waiting on my summer quilt to arrive which will knock off another 13 oz from my 11 pound weight as of now. As well, I am testing some items that are a little heavier than items I would normally carry. So, saying this, I could save another 12 oz or so. And to take it even farther, I plan to replace the Swift pack with a ZPacks Blast pack later on and this will save about another half pound. With all of this, if I decided to leave a few “luxury” items behind I could drop about another half pound to a pound which would put me closer to an 8 pound base weight.

Last, but definitely not least, this will be my first solo hike. I must admit that I am a bit nervous about this, but I am also looking forward to it as well! This will give me an opportunity to get my own hiking style (so-to-say) down. For this reason, I am also trying to push myself. Compared to my previous hikes, this hike will entail much longer miles each day. However, I am taking into consideration the length of the day at this time too, so I don’t feel like I am going over board. My plan is to hike out early, stop for lunch and dinner and hike in late. Given the amount of hours in a day I think that this will work out well for me.

So, anyway, I am pretty excited to get on the trail. I have a lot to get together and get ready before the hike so, once I get back I will be sure to post a trip report as well as post some more gear review videos that I plan to do while on the trail. So, until then…

Thanks for reading!

This entry was posted in Gear, Packing, The Trail and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 4 Days & A 20 Pound Pack

1. Not been on your blog before – it is rather good. I have put you in my Google reader and added you to my blog roll.

I was on a solo 4 day recently on the Pennine Way in England. My gear weighed the following for comparison if you are interested :

Total weight with food was 10.6 kg (23 .3 lbs) and excluding food for 4 days and 3 nights was 8.8 kg (19.35 lbs). The big three items – 2 skin tent, pack and sleeping bag (+sleeping mat) came to 3.1 kg (6.82 lbs). I am working on getting this down (quite a bit of money will need to be spend). I am pretty sure having drafted my wish list that I can get it down to around 6-6.5 kgs ( 13-14 lbs) without food.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for stopping by and adding me to your list!

I will admit that it is very nice to run around with a total pack weight at 20 pounds. Wow, it is great! Right now my base weight will vary between 9 and 11 pounds. Then food and water will vary by trip. Of course though this is for my warm set-ups. My colder set-up will be around 14 pounds, which is still pretty sweet!

2. Pingback: Trip Report: Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap | Stick's Blog

3. skolbe says:

How do you handle transportation back to Springer? Have a great trip

4. Jake Willits says:

Stick, I spent some time analyzing your gear list. You are very thorough. Nicely done. I also noticed that the 2 items that hurt your base weight were test items. Thanks for testing them for us! Have a great trip.

Jake,

Haha…I hear ya. But I gotta admit that it is fun testing these items. Honestly, I would never have bought a Jetboil myself, but I am happy enough to give it a go!

5. Raul says:

Have fun bro I’m Jealous… counting down the days until I can finally hit the trails June 26th…. BTW Video or it didnt happen 🙂

Raul,

The 26th is not that far away…

As far as my trip, I do have video, however I did not do the whole hike. I am not so sure about “long distance” solo hikes at this point… anyway I will have my trip report up sometime tonight or tomorrow…

6. JERMM says:

Have a great hike Stick, solo hiking is great! We’re having a lot of food bags taken by bears in GA especially at the shelters so hang it high and correctly and stay away from shelters . The folks at Neel’s Gap- Mountain Crossings can give you better advice on where the bear(s) has been the most and give you a current water report.

Jermm,

I spoke with Pirate and another guy that works at Neels Gap (but I cannot remember his name). Anyway, they seemed like it wasn’t a big issue anymore with the bears taking food bags, of course they were sure to tell me to take care…

7. Robert Carver says:

Have a safe and enjoyable hike. That is a very good section of trail. Hopefully the weather will hold for the entire trip. Very good pack weight.

Robert,

That was a nice hike that I did, however, I just finished up at Unicoi Gap… I will explain in my trip report….

8. Martin Rye says:

Have a good trip and solo walking is a great thing to do. Enjoy it.

9. Tony says:

Have a great time, Stick. I remember my first solo trip very well. It will be an entirely new experience, full of the unexpected. Every time you hike on your own, you learn something about yourself. You’re gonna love it.

Tony,

I don’t think that I will forget my first solo hike for a long time either…but not because it was necessarily a blast! I enjoy company of family or friends while on the trail and I found that out with this hike. But I definitely learned something on the trip! I think I need more time out on the trail before I am comfy with going on my own… then again, maybe I won’t…

I also learned fist hand that bears really aren’t to worried about hunting us down! One ran right out in front of me and the way he ran out I would say he was afraid of me… 🙂

10. Stick says:

Thanks everyone! And as usual, great advice John.

11. David Byrge says:

Stick, hope you have a safe and enjoyable hike! Can’t wait hear all about it.

12. Joslyn says:

Congratulations on all points! Can’t wait to see the reviews. Have a great trip!

13. Mike says:

Happy trails Stick! Looking fwd to hearing all about it. Enjoy yourself out there!

14. John Abela says:

Have a great time on the trail stick!! Gear list looks good. Now that you have everything organized, stop worrying about the numbers, and just start thinking about the sites and views you are going to get to see!!