A Closer Look at the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro Water Filter

In a recent post I made mention that I carried an Aqua Mira Pro water filter with me on a recent hike. In the video I really just pointed it out and did not video the filter in use. I received a comment from John Abela in which he stated that he wished that he could have seen it in action, so I have decided to do another video with more focus on the filter, as well as a shot of me filtering 1 liter of water through the filter. So, here is the video…

I also want to make note again that this filter is not necessarily to be used as a stand alone filter. The Frontier Pro will filter down to 3 microns, which means it will not catch any of the smaller bacteria. This filter is really a means to rid the drinking water of Giardia as well as Crypto.

With this in mind, I use this filter in conjunction with either Aqua Mira drops or MicroPur tablets. I treat the water with the chemicals for at least 15 minutes to begin with. (Of course the treatment time also depends on temperature as well as turbidity of the water.) Once the time has passed, I then filter the treated water through the filter and into my drinking bottle. (This process can be seen in the videos.)

The filter stripped down with no attachments weighs in at 1.8 oz on my scale. I figure I can cut off some more of the trimmings and lose a little more weight. Maybe I will try that sometime.

This filter does have a limited lifetime. The filter is stated to filter up to 50 gallons (200 liters). Once this time comes, the filter is no longer to be relied upon. However, the filter may also clog (which I have read a few reports that stated that they can clog quickly), and obviously, once this happens, the filter is then trash since it cannot be back-washed.

These filters retail for about $25, however, they can be found for cheaper. I paid just under $20 on Amazon.com for mine. (Get it here for $18 and I may even get a couple of cents out of it… )

So, if you have any more questions, just post them below and I will get back to you! Until then, thanks for reading…

This entry was posted in Gear, Water Filter, Water Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Closer Look at the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro Water Filter

1. Tim says:

Any idea what the steel screen mesh is rated at in microns?

2. Keith D. says:

That’s really not that bad, Ran faster than I thought. Good to know about the 3 micron limit. Have to get some AM drops. A friend gave me an Amazon gift card and I bought a Frontier pro and a Platypus bag, but have not had the time to give it a try. Together cost about $27. Have to pull them out soon.

Keith,

Sounds great! Let us know what you think of the system.

As far as the flow rate, I don’t mind waiting a couple of minutes. It may not flow as fast as other in-line filters, but then again, it won’t weigh me down like the faster ones either… 🙂

3. Nathan says:

Did you just get yours? I have one (grey and orange) from about 9 months ago and I didn’t receive the extra connector that you added at about 3:30 in the video. Any idea if those connectors are available as an aftermarket add-on?

Nathan,

I thought it was funny that when I made the post, the filter was now orange. I figured they simply changed the color (which orange would be more suitable IMO). I don’t know if they have changed them up or not. I ordered mine on May 3rd from the same link, and I received the one in my video with the attachments. As far as if they are available after market, I could not tell you. I figure that you may can still find some of the ones like I have in my video and order one of them. The filter may go bad, but the attachments you can keep and reuse with new filters. Hope this helps.

4. John Abela says:

Sweet, thanks for the video. I recently switched away from AquarMaria tables over to the SteriPEN Adventurer Opti and before either of those I used a drip gravity system.

Regarding the time it takes… any hiker who is not willing to wait 90 seconds for 32 ounces of water… probably had the wrong idea about being out on the trail in the first place.

Thanks for the video… gonna see if I can score me one of these.

No problem John.

I agree with you about the time. IMO, it is the same with alky stoves though. And hey, since you put it in terms of seconds, I realized that 90 seconds is how long it takes the Steripen to work on a liter of water too…of course though there is not the initial 15 minute wait… but anyway, it’s all good! 🙂

If you get ne let me know what you think of it.