My ZPacks order has arrived!

So, not too long ago I placed another order at ZPacks for a few new items, as well as a few replacement items, and yet again, I have to give props to ZPacks. At the moment, Joe and Sheryl are out hiking Te Araroa (the New Zealand Trail), but luckily for me, the business is still up and running. Matt Favero is running things while they are away, and I have got to say that all of my emails (by all, I mean a lot) were answered within a days time, or sometime within only a few hours. As well, all of the custom work I requested was also answered with a “yes”… Then on top of all of this, Matt managed to get my order shipped out in less than a week from the time I ordered it!

This is why I continue to love and recommend ZPacks gear, their customer service is top-notch, and on top of that, their gear is the same! Oh, and of course, it is super lightweight…

So, what did I get? Starting with the biggest, baddest, most awesomest item first:

• 6.5 x 10 foot, white, 0.51 oz/sqyd cuben fiber flat tarp. I wanted a solo-sized, lightweight tarp that’s big enough to provide complete protection and can be pitched in more than one way. I plan to pitch this in the Half-Pyramid configuration in most weather conditions, and revert to the A-Frame pitch in chancy looking weather. Also, in bad weather, I plan to use my CloudKilt as a back wall (when set up in an A-Frame), which should allow me to scoot all the way inside the tarp and have plenty of coverage. I also plan to use my new (to me) MLD bug bivy under this tarp too.
  • Waterproof/Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Mitts. These are replacements to my other pair of WP/B CF mitts I got from ZPacks when they first started selling them. I asked Matt to make these 3/4 inch longer in the thumb and finger area so that they will fit me better than my first pair.
  • Roll-Top Blast Food Bag in white 1.43 oz/sqyd cuben fiber. This is another replacement item. About a year and a half ago, I picked up one of Joe’s Blast Food Bags, which at that time were being sold with a cinch top only. Now he offers them with a rolled top, which I prefer. (Of course, if I had thought about it at the time, I’m sure that Joe would have added a roll-top on the first one I ordered had I simply asked…)
  • Aqua Mira Drops. Being that I have been using my Sawyer Squeeze water filter, I have not needed to order anymore of these drops, however, now that it is cold(ish) I plan to carry AM drops. This way I don’t have to wonder if my filter froze up and I just didn’t know it… (personal preference).
  • UltraLight Travel Toothbrush Kit. It was time to replace my toothbrush anyway… 🙂

So, I just wanted to share these items with everyone real quick. I am pretty excited about the entire order, but especially the tarp. I like a flat tarp simply because they are quite versatile, and as I said above, I have been wanting a cuben, solo-sized one for a while now…

Anyway, now it is time to take them out on the trail! Thanks for stopping by!

Disclaimer: I paid for these items with my own money, although, I did have a 10% off coupon that I won in a past raffle on the Water Monkey’s site. I am under no obligation to “review” any of the above mentioned items, I just like to talk about it.

This entry was posted in Bear Bag System, Gear, Gear Stores, Tarps, Teeth Stuff, Water Filter, Water Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to My ZPacks order has arrived!

1. Michael says:

Can you do me a favor and measure the dimensions of your GG uberlight 10l cuben dry sack? I want to get one in that size in 1.43 cuben from Zpacks.

Michael,

It is a boxed construction rather than an envelope design. Here is the dimensions per the GG website for the 10L: 5″ x 7.25″ x 20″

• Michael says:

I found the dimensions on the website, but I’m thinking those may be the full or filled dimensions. If you are able to measure it lates flat when you get a chance that would be much appreciated.

Laid flat it is 10.5″ wide and about 18″ tall from the bottom hem – it will stretch out a bit more, but since it is a boxed construction, this would not be a correct measurement.

2. Lukabrazi says:

What did you find out about the food bag? New design?

Lukabrazi,

After doing the video, I realized that this is the same thing as usual, except the bottom corners aren’t pulled back up and sewn to create the box. Matt told me that it would involve more taping, and add more weight to do this. So, I am fine with it though since the bottom will still fill out the same as the old design. I do like that they tape the bags too now though, that is great!

3. Jim says:

Hi Stick. I am needing tie outs for bug cover as well. Did you have to ask for the tie outs as a special item? I did not see them on their web page? Would they attach to sil nylon? Are they self adhesive or do you supplement adhesive somehow?? How long do you think hey will last.

Jim

Jim,

Go to the tarp page on the ZPacks site and you will see the extra tie-outs listed as options towards the bottom of the page. They sell the adhesive kind like I have, which will not work on silnylon, but they also sell some plain tie-outs that can be adhered to silnylon with some Sil-Net.

Considering that I am not using these for anything extreme, I have no concerns about them wearing out anytime. Although, I would suggest to round the corners before adhering… round corners are less likely to peel than squared ones…

4. Placed an order with packs last week. I want to say on Thursday. It arrived yesterday!!
    The cub in stuff sacks are amazing!
    Keep up the great blog and videos… learn a lot and have fun peaking in on what other gear junkies (like me) have in their pack.

5. Sweet tarp! Cant wait to see it setup. what size is the food bag? Merry Christmas to you & your family!

Claire,

I set it up briefly the day it came in, but I didn’t have a lot of time to play with it much. I did get the adhesive tie outs on it though.

As far as the food bag, it is 16 x 20. It is the Blast Food bag that is listed on the site.

Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas to you too!