1 g Silica Dry Packs

P1000048In my recent post about my new camera, I briefly mentioned that I am using some Silica Dry Packs to help keep my camera dry. I am sure that this is nothing new, but when I really started thinking about keeping my camera (along with some of my other stuff in my pack) dry, then these just kind of made sense. So, I searched around on Amazon and found some 1 gram Silica Dry Packs (of course, keeping in tune with the “Ultralight” backpacking philosophy…)

Once they came in I was a little shocked at how small they really are… despite the fact that only being 1 gram each should have given me some clue. As well, I was also a bit confused since the little silica beads are actually contained inside a plastic pouch, rather than the little cotton, or paper pouches that I am used to seeing. I searched the package for any sort of user instructions and found this: “Insert packet into any container that includes your valuables.” So I have just been throwing the little plastic pouch with tiny beads in different bags which have contents I would like to keep dry…

P1000059

Inside my repair kit

P1000065

Inside my FAK

P1000070

Inside Loksak for my camera

As I said, the dry sacks are filled with little tiny beads, most of which are clear, but also some that are orange. According to the package, once the orange beads turn dark green, it is time to replace the package since the package is now “fully absorbed.”

I would also just like to say that I do not intend for these dry packs to protect my “valuable” items from rain, or excessive moisture (solid water). Instead, it is that tiny bit of moisture that gets caught inside stuff (such as electronics) which will actually condense on the inside of a plastic bag (such as a Loksak or Ziploc bag) once the temperatures change.

As seen in the pictures above, I have been throwing these little packages inside a few different places, and that is cool since they are only 1 gram each! Of course though, that doesn’t mean I can get carried away since everything weighs something, and it all adds up…

P1000076

So, what do you think about using these dry packs? Do you, or have you in the past, used these, or anything else similar? For those of you that have used them, are there certain ones that you found works better than others?

Thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: I purchased the Silica Dry Packs with my own money.

This entry was posted in Camera Gear, First-Aid Kit, Silica Dry Packs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 1 g Silica Dry Packs

1. Jon says:

You should be able to “recharge” the silica by drying them out in an oven (say 350f for 1 hour). Then store in an air tight container until you are ready to use again). They can also help if you get your cell phone wet.

Jon,

I had actually meant to get these in the past for drying cell phones or other electronic devices out if the need should arise, but never got around to it until I got my new camera. In the past though with wet phones, we have just stashed them in a bag of rice which also did the trick.

2. Evan Klein says:

Continuing on the Solo Stove. If it is wet outside then you will need to carry the materials to start and maintain a fire. Also what is the cool down time?

Evan,

That is one option, however, another option would be to split some larger diameter pieces of wood and use the inside of the sticks for tender. This can be done fairly easy with a decent knife and should result in some drier wood. Or as you are walking you can pick up a few of the drier pieces of tender you come across. This doesn’t have to be all at once though, and it doesn’t take too much.

Another option would be too carry some back-up Esbit tablets and a small stand to use when the wood is soaked.

3. Evan Klein says:

Dear sir,
    Very much enjoyed your video on the Solo Stove. However I do have several concerns. It seems that one can easily be burned adding fuel to the fire. Also the cleaning the soot from the pot and stove seems messy. On their web site they also sell a alcohol based fuel. Have you used it?
    Evan Klein

Evan,

Glad you enjoyed the video.

As far as your concerns, it is not hard to not get burnt when refilling the stove. It is really not much different than throwing more wood on a campfire, however, in this case, there is a smaller target to hit. But, to safely do this, be sure that the tender you are throwing in is broke down to an acceptable size and somewhat straight. Also, be sure that the wind isn’t blowing the flame in your direction when throwing the extra tender in. Also, once the fire gets going good, it should burn long enough to bring the water to a boil, if not, let it burn down a good bit before adding more tender.

As far as the soot, as I showed in my video, the stove is one of the cleanest wood burning stoves I have tried. Containing the soot on the stove is very, very easy, it is all inside the stove. After the stove goes out, just simply drop it back in it’s stuff sack and done. And clean.

The pot is another story. There will be soot on it. Some recommend putting a thin coat of soap on the bottom before using over the fire which will allow the soot to easily be removed afterwards. Another option is to use a piece of foil on the outside of the pot. This would make the soot attach to the foil rather than the pot. Once done, just fold the foil in on itself so that the soot is inside. Then of course, just having a stuff sack for the pot is also an easy way to isolate the sooty cook pot from the rest of your pack contents.

As far as the alcohol that they sale, I have not looked. If I am using an alcohol stove though, I will use either yellow bottle HEET, S-L-X Denatured Alcohol or 190 proof Everclear.

Hope this clears some stuff up for you!

4. Josh Rubin says:

While on the trail I’ve used a packet I made out of a fillable tea bag and bulk silica (sold at craft stores for drying flowers). This has worked well for several years. Also a trick I learned a while ago: to make used packets like new just put the used packets in the microwave for a few seconds.

Josh,

Funny you mention that about putting them in the microwave since the instructions on the back of the Dry Pack I got states not to microwave them… I figure for the price, and hopefully the longevity of them, I will just discard them once they are fully absorbed… My wife would kill me if I blew up a bunch of tiny beads inside the microwave… 🙂

5. Never tried it, but sounds like a great idea!

6. Loneoak says:

Will be watching for follow ups, great idea tho