The GO>ID Emergency Kit

P1010160A few days ago, Sarah from GO>ID contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in checking out one of their new Emergency ID Kits. After receiving the email, I checked out the GO>ID website and liked what I saw, so I responded to Sarah’s email and said sure! This was about 4 days ago, then yesterday when I came home from work, I found the kit already in my mailbox… talk about quick…

To date, I have always simply carried my Wa-Ben cuben fiber wallet with me on my hikes, which also happens to be my EDC wallet. Despite the weight, I never remove items from my wallet before heading out for a hike, although, I will admit, even with my normal every day contents, the weight is still only 2.6 oz, so it is not an issue for me. However, due to this, I have never needed to carry my ID in forms of tags or bracelets. But after checking out the GO>ID kits, I decided change may be good…

What stood out to me about this kit, as opposed to the ID tags/bracelets that others sell, is the fact that this is a DIY kit. What this means is I don’t have to enter in my personal information (such as SSN, DOB, address, etc…) into a website, and then let them transfer that information over for me. With the GO>ID kit, I simply pick what size tag I want, along with color combination, and then once it gets here it comes with a kit so I can print all of this information myself, and then apply it to the tag. This way, no one gets my info but me.

So, I decided to make a video this morning to show how the process works, from beginning to end:

I will admit, it took me a minute to get the printing process down, but this was due to me having to get the print settings correct on my printer. Once this was done, it was actually quite easy. (Although, I may have made it look hard in the video…)

I am looking forward to using this Emergency ID tag, and likely leaving my wallet behind on my hiking trips. After finishing up the tag, the total weight (including the supplied hang clip) comes to 7 grams. Considering how important the information on it is, this is more than acceptable, even for a hiker with a “UL” mindset.

So, how do you carry your emergency information?

Disclaimer: GO>ID supplied me with this Emergency ID Kit for free. I am not affiliated with GO>ID, nor am I obligated to write about this product, or being compensated for writing this post in any way. However, I find that this product is a valuable item to have, and it provides a high level of protection of ones own personal information, so I felt it is worth sharing.

This entry was posted in DIY/MYOG, Emergency ID and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The GO>ID Emergency Kit

1. Michael says:

Honestly, I’ve never considered carrying anything but my EDC wallet, which holds the barest amount of info anyway – ID, emergency contacts, etc. I have an aversion to wearing watches or anything else on my wrists, so I like the idea that I can attach the GO>ID to my shoe laces. (LOL! Better make sure I’m always wearing my shoes 😉

Michael,

I have always been the same as far as just carrying my EDC wallet. Since I went to my Wa-Ben wallet, I have really slimmed down the contents, so while it is mostly important info, there are a few other small things too (such as notes from my daughter!). But, since this is so small and light, I will be carrying it with me from here on out, but I am not sure if I will stop carrying my wallet though… 🙂

2. I use RoadID too. I don’t pay for the online stuff, so I have my name, DOB, allergies, meds and my parents and sister’s contact information on my ID band. That’s all EMS is going to need if they find me unresponsive. I also let my friends know I have it on when we go out, just in case anything happens.

3. Allen Bishop says:

While the product looks worthwhile, I personally never felt carrying my D.L. a credit card, and medical I.D. a true hindrance in weight, along with $30-$40, even on a day hike. Besides they all bundle up nicely together and have all the info needed. I guess I am not that much of a gram weenie, and probably never will be. But everyone has to hike their own hike.

Allen,

I hear ya. Like I said, I have been doing the same. My EDC wallet weighs 2.6 oz and is thin enough to forget it is even there. Plus, it is always in my zippered back pocket. However, for those that don’t like to carry those items on them, I think that this could be a good alternative. Although, as John mentioned, it needs to be somewhere that is noticeable.

4. Not really sure about this one Chad… it just does not stand out enough for S&R / First Reponders and does not follow the long held system that FR’s are use to checking – that is, medical identification tags are almost always on a persons wrist or around their neck.

It is nice to see they included a caduceus symbol on it, but to me, it just does not have that stand-out-and-shout “read me!!!” factor to it.

I understand the concern about not wanting to share your personal information with a company such as RoadID, but I think after this many years of being in service, they have pretty much proven they can be trusted.

Here is what my RoadID looks like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50366/roadidepublic.png (i took out my full ssn and contact phone number)

Anyway, I think this is a neat concept, but I have never talked with any First Reponder who thought “I should look under a watch for medical information”.

John,

I do agree that proper placement would need to be considered with this due to it’s small(er) size. I think that the watch idea would actually be a good idea for people to notice it though, although, I don’t think that would be an ideal placve for me personally. I have thought about actually using it as a necklace though, which I think would be appropriate.

And I agree with you about sharing the info with the Road ID people, however, if I just don’t have to that is all the better…

Thanks for sharing.

5. Loneoak says:

Wondering if that info would be enough to get treated at an ER? Most times they want a copy of your insurance card and picture ID. Or is this more sooted to what meds you mite be on and what your allergic too? I take about 5 meds, so not sure if there is enough room on something that small. Neat product none the less.

• John Abela says:

These type of medical alerts are intended for worst case situations where paperwork at an ER department is inconsequential.

Meaning:

These are for (a) S&R / First Responders who are hovering over your nearly dead body and quickly need to know any known drug allergies, or (b) S&R / ME’s who have your already dead body and need a method of identification.

If you can walk into an ER room on your own accord, these are of zero importance.

• These are not medical devices designed for walking into the ER with.

These type of medical identification tags (their technical term) are designed for:

(1) A S&R / First Responder who is hovering over your almost dead body and trying to save your life. They are trained to look for medical bracelets (their non-technical term) on individuals wrists or around their necks. The primary purpose in this situation is to have a persons name (a standard practice in first responders is to address the person – first aid 101) and secondly to check for if the person is NKDA (no known drug allergies) or if they have an allergy to a specific type of medication that could kill the patient (you) if you are administered a specific type of drug)

(2) If you are dead. S&R/FR/ME’s typically like to have positive identification for a DB. By having your full name, SSN, and a contact number, the ME (medical examiner) knows who the John Doe is, and who to contact.

Simply put: If you can walk into an ER on your own accord, these type of MIT’s have zero uses.

Jim,

I would think that it would be enough to get you going in the ER, although yes, they would end up wanting additional information. However, so long as they have your name & SSN they can get the chart started. The large size will definitely fit more info on it than the medium (that I have), and the cool thing is that you can actually apply labels to both sides. All in all, I like what they have here.

6. Ken Thompson says:

Interesting take on the id thing. I use a Road ID. I don’t take my wallet with me hiking. Never found anyone selling anything on trail.

Ken,

That made me chuckle… I too have not come across anyone selling anything on the trail… but you just never know… 🙂