“SUL” Hammock Gear List for 3.25 Day AT Section Hike

Next week my son and I will be hiking the 68 mile stretch of Appalachian Trail between Hot Springs, NC and Erwin, TN. We are planning to do this hike in 3.25 days, which means we will average 20 mpd the first 3 days, and will log the last 8 miles early on the 4th morning. Considering the faster than normal pace (for most folks), we have decided to keep our packs light… or “super ultralight” so that our hike is more enjoyable.

In the above video, I (briefly) go over the food that we will be carrying, and then the gear that we will be carrying. HERE is a detailed link to our gear lists, but for those not interested in the finer details, my BPW is 4.73 lbs and my TPW is 12.05 lbs. My son’s BPW is  4.82 lbs and his TPW is 12.07 lbs.

As the title of this post suggests, we will be carrying hammocks for this hike, as opposed to tents. My son is carrying a full size hammock tarp, and I will be using my GoLite Poncho Tarp with my hammock, if the weather allows. If the weather turns “bad” then I can use my poncho tarp over one end of the tarp my son is carrying to provide us with a larger protected area, in which we can hang both of our hammocks under. (Photo’s below.)

IMG_2003 IMG_2004At this point in time, the extended weather forecast is calling for partly sunny skies with a 30 – 50% chance of storms each day we will be out. The highs are looking to be around the mid 80’s (which is a BIG surprise being it will be mid July…) and lows in the low 60’s.

After completing this hike I will have linked together all the random pieces of trail I have already hiked (some multiple times) between the Amicalola Falls Visitor Center and Dennis Cove Rd, or the first ~418.5 miles of the Appalachian Trail! After this, the next section I will plan to do will take me all the way to Damascus, VA, which will also then complete the first 3 states (GA, NC, & TN).

One last thing to note, I will not be carrying my camera on this hike. With all the rain predicted, and the fact that we are trying to go lighter than normal, I will simply be using my iPhone 6 to take occasional photos, as well as some video. As normal, I will get those posted, along with a trip report, sometime after we get back from the hike.

So, until then, thanks for stopping by!

This entry was posted in Gear, Gear List, Gear Talk, Section Hiking, Trip Planning and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to “SUL” Hammock Gear List for 3.25 Day AT Section Hike

1. John says:

I enjoyed the video. It may have been lengthy but it was concise and filled with information.

You are braver than me when it comes to rucksack liners. Even with a good one, I still protect my sleeping bag inside a waterproof stuff sack. My current liner is airtight so probably waterproof but, when rain comes in from behind me, I get dampness inside the liner. My foam pad forms a cylinder inside the liner and that keeps what is probably condensation off my gear but I still won’t risk an unprotected sleeping bag.

John,

I understand, and I am the same way. When hiking any time but now (when there is no chance of even thinking about being cold) I use several methods to keep my quilts/sleeping bags/down clothes dry. I use an umbrella, a pack cover, a waterproof backpack, and then the same pack liner! That being said, even with the set up in this video, unless I take a dunk in a river, there is really no chance of the stuff inside my pack liner getting wet though. The pack is made from cuben fiber, which is a waterproof material itself, and has taped seams, and then the pack liner is “plastic,” so also waterproof. This pack liner is also quite a bit stronger than trash compactor bags which many folks use, so developing a hole is not an issue being that it is simply a pack liner.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, and glad you enjoyed the video!

2. Anthony says:

You gotta come up to the white mountains in New Hampshire to hike sometime! I think you’d love it! Let me know. You can fly to Rhode Island (where I live) and we can drive the rest of the way. Have you ever been up this way?

3. C_nugget says:

Looking forward to the trip report and how things worked out. Hammock camping is up on my list of things to try. Also interested in how your poncho works out.. I have an integral designs poncho but have had some issues with it misting or wetting as worn rain gear. It has done well as a shelter though(perhaps tension helps keep the water out?). I do wonder if the misting has to do with quality of fabric (I’ve read on some posts a more durable 30D sil is worth it’s weight). Seam sealing the neck did help but I still tend to err on the side of caution when rain is in the forecast. Happy trails.

I will try and get the trip report up within the next week or 2… As for hammock camping, after this hike, I have decided that a hammock is awesome, however, it’s not for sleeping in… at least for me. Relaxing in a hammock for a couple of hours is bliss, but when it’s time for me to get comfy and go to sleep, a hammock isn’t where it’s at for me. I will instead work on getting a total hammock set up (no tarp, just hammock and suspension) as close to about 7 oz as possible, and then would just throw it in my pack in addition to my tent… this way I can relax in the hammock when breaking, or even at camp, but crawl in my tent when it’s time to go to sleep…

As for the poncho, I haven’t used it very much, but can’t say that I have had any issues with water coming through… The thing about sil though is that it varies from batch to batch, and a lot of silnylon can “mist” when stretched tight… or some folks say that it is simply water droplets formed under the tarp being knocked loose when rain hits the outside…

4. Tippy Top says:

Sounds like a great trip. Maybe I missed it but did not see the clothing you are taking. Even in July it’s good to have some kind of insulating jacket. Can be surprisingly cold after rain. Also, what footwear? Thanks and have a great time with your son.

Tippy Top,

You can check out our clothes, and footwear, by clicking the link to my gear list.

As for an insulating jacket, no, we will not be carrying one. In my experience over the past few years, I couldn’t take off enough clothing to get close to comfortable (which is part of the reason why we are using hammocks this time… they’re cooler). I will admit this trip looks like it will be more bearable than any of my previous hikes at this time of the year in the same general area, but I still can’t imagine needing a jacket. However, if we do get cool, we can still wrap up in out quilts.

5. Warren Stanford says:

Thanks for the video Stick, always interesting how people pack for several days trek. Looking forward for your trail report, have a great time!