Stick’s 2018 JMT Gear List

For the past 19 months I have been planning my own JMT hike. During those months I have spent time dreaming about the hike… time planning the hike… and time thinking that it would never get here. But now here we are, less than 2 weeks away from our adventure in the Sierra Nevada’s! And after all this time, it’s a bit unbelievable now… lol!

During this time I spent a lot of time in front of the computer… reading other’s trip reports, combing through others gear lists and trying to figure out my own gear lists. Keep in mind, I have never been to the Sierra’s, not to mention been on a hike as long as this one will be, so I had my work cut out for me. But now, less than 2 weeks away, it was time to nail down my final gear list, so I have!

In the video above I go over the clothes that I will be wearing, as well as the gear that I will be carrying on our hike this July. My choices come from a mixture of clothes and gear that I have used extensively and love, and of course some new gear that I have never used before (other than experimenting with at home). Being that I am unfamiliar with the area, I have chosen to carry a little extra gear to make sure that (even though it’s July) I will stay warm, and have the items I need to be safe. In the end, I am confident in the items I chose to accomplish this, but of course, time will tell… and very soon at that!

For a complete listing, check out my spreadsheet HERE.

Of course while on the hike I will shoot video and snap some photo’s, which I will share when I get back. And as usual, I will also do a Post Hike Gear Talk video when I get back too and share all my thoughts on how the items I chose worked while on the trail. So, until then, thanks for stopping by, and happy hiking!

Disclaimer: Some of the Amazon links in the spreadsheet are affiliate links. If someone were to click on one of those links and buy something, I would earn a small amount from that purchase. Besides this, I am not affiliated with any company in any way, and am not being paid to mention these products in any way. These are items that I have used enough to trust, or have enough faith in to use.

This entry was posted in Backpacking, Gear, Gear List, John Muir trail, Trip Planning and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Stick’s 2018 JMT Gear List

1. Bob S (slbear) says:

I believe most of the PM pills just add the active ingredient from Benadryl to the pain or inflammation medicine. I always have it for my son’s nut allergy.

Melatonin was never convincing for me, but others swear by it.

2. jbarnes215 says:

Stick – love the itinerary & food detail on the spreadsheet. The gear list is useful also. Really helpful for folks like me planning. Keep up the good work! Planning a JMT 2021 trip. Wished I could go earlier but 2021 will have to do. Keep us updated on lessons learned after your trip. Can’t wait to hear about it.

Thanks, and I certainly will do a Post Hike Gear Talk video! And good luck planning your future JMT hike… it seems like a long way away, but soon enough you will look up and realize that it’s time!! 😁

3. Mike says:

Hey Stick…I am hiking the JMT in late summer (August 17 start) and also going NOBO with a similar itinerary. I’m going to start off a little heavier and try to carry enough food to get to MTR. I noticed you are not bringing any river crossing/camp shoes…are you going to go barefoot for the crossings? I would really like to talk to you after your trip and get your perspective about several things. Any chance you could email me? Thanks and nice work on your videos!

Mike,

I am not bringing water crossing shoes… if I have to get in the water I will just walking with my trail runners… if anything, I may take my socks off and maybe even the insoles out, but that’s not for sure either… in the past I always just keep walking, in and out. The shoes will dry out pretty quickly.

And I don’t mind answering any questions you may have, if I can anyway. You can simply comment here on my blog to make it easier if you want.

Good luck on your hike! 🙂

4. Melissa says:

You are going to love it! I hiked just a very small bit of the JMT when we were in Yosemite last year. Can’t wait to follow along.

Melissa,

I am pretty excited about it… I can’t believe it’s so close now… it seemed like it took forever, and then here it is… I’ll be it’ll go by quick too though! LOL

5. Bob (Sllear) says:

Hi Stick, I have bad internet on family vacation, but will hopefully get to see your video soon. I’ve been tracking your blog and videos with great interest and respect. I’m really hoping to do the JMT in 2019 or 2020 before my son goes off to college. One quick comment to make you sound more like a local. It’s the “Sierra” – never add an “s” on the end.

Bob,

Thanks for the long time follow! I appreciate your support, and your kind words! And good luck with getting your JMT trip lined up… this is by far the most research and figuring things out I have had to do for a hike…there were some curve balls in there too, but I’m praying they are all gone now! And thanks for the correction, lol! I’ll try to remember that, but no promises!

6. Stick, I will be starting the JMT from Horseshoe Meadows heading north on July 7th. Thanks for the video. We are very similar in our gear prep. and overall load weight. I will be hiking with three others, taking 22 days to reach Yosemite. Maybe we’ll see one another along the way! I am Dave Barber (Glowworm).

Glowworm,

Wow, we will be pretty close! Maybe we will meet along the way near Crabtree or something! Anyway, thanks for stopping by, and commenting. It’s great to hear from folks starting so close to each other. Good luck on your hike!

7. Jonathan Skiles says:

Hi. I have done 5 JMT through-hikes and have one item I will NEVER go without: Advil PM or something similar. When your legs and knees are aching it will go a long way to letting you get a good nights rest. The hikes have been as fast as 13 days and as slow as 21 days. Advil PM was a life savor on them all. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Jonathon,

I am carrying a combination of Melatonin and ibuprofen. Advil (for some reason) never really seemed to do much for me… which is odd considering they are both basically the same thing. However, with my Melatonin experiments, it didn’t really help me sleep as much as I wanted, but I figured it was better than other options. I do have some stronger pills with me but prefer not to take them unless necessary… Do you find that the Advil PM helps you sleep well?

• Jonathan Skiles says:

I have had good luck getting to sleep with both Advil and Tylenol PM. Both helped with the aches and sleep.

That’s good to hear. I may pick some up to try… Thanks for the suggestion!

• Jonathan Skiles says:

• Jonathan Skiles says:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )