JMT 2018 Thru Hike Update

So, the JMT thru hike that I had planned for 2018 didn’t go quite as I had planned… Since the hike I have received several messages asking how the hike went, so I finally made the above video. However, I never got around to sharing it here on my blog… so here it is… over here, on my blog.

As usual, if you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave them below, or on the actual YouTube video page. And as always, thanks for watching!

‘Til next time…

This entry was posted in Trip Report and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to JMT 2018 Thru Hike Update

1. TJ lopez says:

Just watched your YouTube post on your failed hike. It was very inspirational to see failure! We ended up hiking with Benny the last two days of the JMT hike. Keep up the family life and RV camping!
    Thanks again for an awesome post and remember being outdoors in an rv is still being outdoors!
    @tjlasvegas

2. Mark says:

Dude man up and stop being a pussy. Just because you planned like crazy and failed??? Come on man the F up. Mountaineers don’t cry because they couldn’t summit a mountain, they go back and conquer. SMH

Mark,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I do plan to get out and conquer again one day, however, at this point, I have no idea when that will be.

3. MARK HALL says:

I am sorry your trip did not go as planned ..amd i hope you will try again !

4. Dave F says:

Thanks for the update Stick.

I’ve been periodically popping in to see if you had uploaded a trip report video and I’m disappointed for you that things didn’t go according to plan. Having watched your video, I can feel your emotions coming through load and clear. All I would say mate is, don’t worry – you don’t owe casual onlookers or avid followers anything. Please don’t feel guilty. The pressure to fulfil the expectations of an online persona can weight too heavily at times and sometimes the whole point of the exercise – which is to have fun – can be missed. If you can’t enjoy it, it is never going to work. Even though I don’t know you, you strike me as a dedicated husband and father. Sometimes these life roles are exclusive from the ‘thru hiker’ one, and for good reason. The pressure to live up to other online backpackers content can’t square the circle of the average working, family man. Many of these backpacking ‘celebrities’ are running from something in order to find something and even then, they might not find what they had hoped for or intended. This is not meant as a criticism of these people, just an observation. But the opportunity cost of deciding between spending time with family or losing oneself in the back country for personal fulfilment isn’t an easy balance to strike. But I know which way I would lean.

Don’t beat yourself up Chad! There’ll be plenty of time in the future once your family is up to realise some if those hiking ambitions. The trails aren’t going anywhere after all and you’ll never get the time back with the kids. The long distance professional hikers and vanlifers in most cases don’t have parental responsibilities. You obviously do and take those very seriously indeed.

Chin up mate! When a hobby loses its enjoyment and starts becoming a chore, maybe it’s time to take a step back.

All the best for the future,
    Dave

5. Jolly Green Giant says:

Good to see you back. Your path reminds me of my own and ultimately I had to run through the same mental loops only to realize I was not able to meet every one of my hopes and dreams, at least not now. I also realized the only pressure on me was what I put on myself and that’s also the point where I realized I needed to redefine what I valued and what I defined as success. Keep your chin up and live life as it comes. Family comes first, and with kids, you have a limited amount of time with them. Make the most of it if for no other reason than it turns out Mark Zuckerburg doesn’t really care either way.

6. Andy... says:

Stick – I add my thanks for the video. And I also wish you the best for your future…be it trailer camping, section hiking, or just family time. I, too have had my backpacking career interrupted many times by work, family, and other activities…even health. Remember…it is not a career, but an enjoyment and circumstances in life change over time. I have been off and on for about fifty years, and even now I am ready to set off on a few adventures, as my health has improved significantly and I have lost over 30 lbs. I have been following your blog for about 5-6 years, learned some things and enjoyed your videos…just remember to do what makes you and your family happy!

7. Nice to see an update, Stick! Sorry it didn’t go how you planned, but that’s a part of the process sometimes.

8. Ian says:

Thanks for posting that video Stick. Life can change in an instant and sometimes it doesn’t go exactly how we would like it, but you’ll find a balance I’m sure. Whether your blog continues on or not, I wanted to thank you for being a great source of information and inspiration for me personally. I’ve followed you for several years and learned a lot from you. I still use the spreadsheet you made for your gear list and weights! Hope to catch you on the trail some day.

9. Chris says:

Sorry to hear about the JMT trip. Perhaps overlanding?! Good luck!!

10. Pertti says:

Stick – thanks for the video. All the best for your future – be it camping, section hiking, family time, with or without blog. I have been following your blog for some time and enjoyed the posts, but sometimes it is just time to move on… Blogging, photos and videos sometimes get to your way when enjoying time outdoors. Know it from experience…

Liked by 1 person

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )